Thursday, June 16, 2011

Plain Wisdom

Novelist Cindy Woodsmall might seem to have little in common with Miriam Flaud, a woman from the Old Order Amish. With nine children and almost 60 years of marriage  between them, Cindy and Miriam have found secrets to facing life with strength and grace.

With poignant recollections, unexpected insights and humorous tales, the women welcome the reader into their unique friendship. With glimpses of traditions and ways of the Amish, Miriam also shares her traditions and even some family recipes.Truly a celebration of God, womanhood, and the search for beauty that unites us all.

I loved reading this book, not just because of the way it was told , although I felt like I got to know each one as an individual, but also I found myself savoring each moment I had with these friends.  I wanted to sit down and write a letter or call and see how the garden was coming or the milk inspection. The tenderness and yet the strength was so vivid that I would feel completely taken care of with either one of the friends. The sense of humor was enduring as was the stories shared by each writer. Many times after a charter I would reflect on the small pieces of advice  and find I just may have a place for it in my day.

I wrote down the recipes and even the poem. I can not wait to share this book with some very special people in my life an I am lucky to have met Miriam and Cindy!

I gave this book 4 out 5 stars!

Happy Reading and enjoy a cup of tea!
Kara

I received an advance copy of this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment