Friday, July 8, 2011

The Forgotten Garden

After growing up believing she is the daughter of  Hugh and Lil, Nell is told a secret, one that she spends the rest of her life hiding and trying to figure out as she creates a life for her and her granddaughter. After Nell's death, Cassandra  is alone and a little shocked after she is left with a cottage, a secret garden, a scrap book  and a mystery to follow her grandmother's life and who she really is. Cassandra travels to Cornwall, England to see the cottage and find more about her grandmother's past as well as heal and move on with her own life.

A novel that spans from 1913 to 1975 to 2005, this story includes a family saga, a mystery, fairy tales and even a bit of love. This book was a Pullman Page Turner selection for the month of June and July and I was excited to read it. In the beginning I felt let down because it was not an attention getter at all and I originally had a difficult time following the story, especially with the jumping back and fourth from the various years. 

I will say thank you to my friend Roz, who insisted that  I keep going and although I did not love this story I did end up liking  it. I was able to figure out what happened relatively quickly as the clues were pretty clear, however, I do think it overall was a good story! 

I give this book a 3/2 stars out of 5  
Happy Reading and have a cup of  Tea!!
Kara

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through this one! I've really grown to love Kate Morton's books... I think her newest one, The Distant Hours, is my favorite. They are very lengthy, though. And, sometimes the endings are easy to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to read this one after really liking The Distant Hours. Hope to get to it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete