Monday, July 11, 2011

Still Alice

Alice Howland is a Harvard professor, gifted researcher and lecturer, and the mother of three grown children. At fifty years old she is proud of the life she has built and as she becomes increasingly disoriented and forgetful, a diagnosis of early onset  Alzheimer's Disease changes her life, her work and her family forever.

I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I began and although I liked Alice, as a reader I could tell she was a perfectionist and expected her family to do what was "best."   As the story progressed Alice's vulnerability became what endured me to her.  Heart wrenching in parts to the point of  being in tears and realizing this isn't made up, there are families everyday going through this turmoil and heartache due to this horrible disease.

I loved the author's ability to take a terrible situation and give all perspectives to the daughter who is trying to have a baby to the son who distances himself to the husband who almost seems angry with Alice for having the disease, and yet his love for her is truly amazing as he learns to accept her for the Alice she is now. Lisa Genova takes us there in each stage of the disease with Alice and with her family.

There is a quote in the book where Alice has a moment of clarity with John her husband and she says..
"I miss myself."
" I miss you too, Ali very much."
" I never planned to get like this."
" I know."
I think that is what defines how a couple gets through as they continue to love but miss what was there very much.

Her relationship with her youngest daughter is another part of the book that simply touched my heart. At one point, Lydia and Alice are talking and Alice reaches out to Lydia and tells her how proud she is of her and then tells her "in case I forget, know that I love you."  I felt like that was so much of what the book was about and defines a woman who had her life in control and within a year had virtually lost her ability to be on her own, work and even read a book or watch a movie.

I loved this book - I read it in less than a day simply because I couldn't stop thinking about Alice.  I recommend this book to everyone. I give this book 5 out 5 stars !!!!!

Happy Reading and enjoy a cup of Tea!
Kara

1 comment:

  1. If I'm remembering correctly, I gave this one 5/5 as well. I'm not a speedy reader, but I devoured this one. Enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete