Monday, August 1, 2011

It's Chick Lit Time!!!!

Every Summer my friend and I read several books in the Chick Lit category as a "break," if you will.  This year I also am in a challenge to read 8 Chick Lit books by the end of the year and I don't believe that will be a problem. Before I start with all of my reviews on the various books in this category I wanted to share my point of view and frankly my scoring system for the Chick Lit genre.


My philosophy about Chick lit is really very simple: I expect to be entertained and I want a light read. I read a lot of reviews and always when it comes to Chick lit there's the 'there was no depth' or 'I knew what was going to happen.'  Yes, that is why we read Chick Lit!!!! It is what it is - it's a light read with fun, a villain, some quirky relationship, predictability and an ending we all hope for. Usually the story takes place in New York or a big city with a woman who wants to change something in her life, whether it be a relationship, a job or both.  Well isn't that why we read it?  We can't keep getting these books and expect it to be a literary work of art.


So as I review the Chick Lit genre I will rate it for what I think it is...did it make me laugh, did it entertain me, was it a light read that took me away from reality?  Then that to me is Chick Lit!!!!


Hope you enjoy the reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment