Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Hangman's Daughter


A historical thriller set in 1660's Germany, after a dying boy is pulled from a river with a mark tattooed on his shoulder, hangman Jakob Kuisl is called to investigate whether witchcraft is involved. When more children suddenly start to disappear and another orphan boy is found dead marked with the same tattoo, hysteria threatens to create the witch trials of the past all over again.  Before the chaos forces Jakob to torture and execute  the woman who brought many of the townspeople's children into the world, including his, Jakob must find the truth.  With the help of his daughter Magdalena and Simon, a young physician, Jakob discovers pure evil and that the devil is truly alive in his town.

This book is not a normal read for me and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by not only the pace but also the way the story played out.  I was truly intrigued by the mystery and actually the characters were very believable. I enjoyed this book and felt like I got my money's worth at the end.  I am glad the Pullman Page Turner's picked this and I am glad I got to visit Jakob. 

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Happy Reading and enjoy a cup of tea! 
Kara

3 comments:

  1. I saw this at the library and now have to go back and get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I want to check it out. I love historical fiction...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete