Monday, May 30, 2011

Room

To five year old Jack, Room is his world and all he knows. An 11x11 shed is where he was born and where he has lived with his Ma for the last five years.  It's where he reads, eats, plays, and when Old Nick comes in the night Jack goes to the wardrobe where he is safe.

Although Room is home to Jack it is prison to Ma since she has been held captive there for the last seven years. Her determination to keep Jack safe and create a life for Jack leads her to devise a plan of escape that relies on Jack's bravery and luck.  Told from Jack's prospective, the reader is led into a world that although tragic is also all he knows.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get through the book when I started because of the way it is written with Jack's pronunciation, however, as  I continued I felt as though I was truly getting a glimpse of the world in which Jack and his mother survived. I was intrigued by what Ma did to keep Jack occupied and I felt her struggle with getting out of the Room but also I felt in incredible desire to keep Jack safe.

Jack's perspective on so many things that are taken for granted hit me many times when I read the book.  "In the world I notice persons are always stressed and have no time," "Also everywhere I'm looking at kids, adults mostly don't seem to like them, not even parents do. They call the kids gorgeous and so cute, they make the kids do all the thing all over again so they can take a photo, but they don't actually play with them, they'd rather drink coffee talking to adults."

Their journey was not easy and was an interesting read and a fast read that did pull you in.  I thought the book was good, but I don't think it was great.  Out of 5 stars I give it 3.

Happy Reading and Enjoy a cup of Tea!
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment